jEdit is a mature programmer text editor with a large collection of plug-ins by a world-wide developer team. The developer claims that jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use. The program is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0. You can download and use it for free. This HTML editor is written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, UNIX, VMS and Windows operating systems. The program requires at least a Java 5.x. If you don’t have it on your system you can download java official website.
- Built-in macro language and extensible plug-in architecture.
- Plug-ins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the plug-in manager feature.
- Syntax highlighting for more than 130 languages: HTML, CSS, PHP, XML, PERL, ASP, RUBY and more.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- Unlimited undo/redo and unlimited number of clipboards.
- File Management
The program required Java release 1.5 or newer runtime engine. You can download java runtime at its official website. The program is licensed as Careware software.
- Multiple-document interface
- Built-in FTP client
- Customizable toolbars
- Drag and drop
- Search and replace
- Beautify and Validate HTML
- Spell Check
- List System Command
- Java Runtime and Compiler
- C++ Runtime and Compiler
- Other standard coding features